Tuesday 21 August 2018

"Mediation in online therapy – reflections of applicability to the autistic population"

As part of an assignment for the Online Therapy Institute’s Certified Cyber Therapist course, I have been thinking about the concept of “presence” in online therapy (Lombard & Ditton, 2006).   What type of “presence” it is that most resonates with me, or that I would seek to try and create in my online therapeutic work?  For me, I think it is/will be about a combination of immersion (engagement) and transportation (“we are together”) – the co-creation of a space which is both novel yet can quickly come to be familiar, therefore allowing both client and therapist to quickly relax into the business of becoming immersed in the process and the relationship. I am less interested in the need to make the experience feel like a traditional therapy environment or encounter (realism) – indeed, because, to many of my autistic clients, that is the whole problem!

 by 

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment